Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Movie Posters

      The final project for Vis Comm 1 consisted of creating three movie posters (a thriller, a romance, and a comedy) using the same title for each. We had to create a tagline that informed slightly about the pretend movie. This project challenged me to examine how type can convey different ideas or emotions, as well as examine how type can interact with imagery.
     To begin this project, I researched different movie posters. Some were from previously released movies, and others were from future releases. Three of my favorites were the posters for Beastly, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Red State. These posters combined typeface and imagery effectively and worked really well as posters.

      From there, I began to play around with layout on paper and then tried some on the computer. Not happy with the results, I did a typographic study hoping that this would help ignite some ideas based upon the type. I had to go beyond the given fonts in Illustrator and search online for fonts that would work best with my designs. Once I had the fonts mostly figured out, I searched through my personal image library to see if I had any photographs of my own that I could use for the project. Luckily, I had two that would work for the romance and the thriller poster. For the comedy, I took a photograph of a friends car. As I gathered images, I began to play around with different ideas and layouts.

Each poster changed completely at least once, but most often two or three times. If I would feel stuck at any point, I would start over on a new layout and come back to that one later to see if there was something from the old design that I could salvage. I finally settled with these three designs:










No comments:

Post a Comment