Monday, February 21, 2011

Organized Chaos

Once I had decided upon design ideas for the book covers, I began the process of actually creating the covers. I went to Hobby Lobby to buy some paper and things and probably went a little overboard. As I realized that I had too many ideas of what I could do, I began to cut down and focus on the essential aspects of the designs. I wanted to create a vintage feel to the books, while keeping with the modern look. To create the sense of a series of books, I kept all the back cover and spine layouts the same while I modified the front imagery, text, and overall colors to make each book unique. With all of the individual letters, I hand cut them with an X-Acto knife so that I did not have a background. I had fun using vellum paper in varying colors to add a sense of depth to the covers so that they were not all flat colors.
     Here are some examples of the covers as they were during the process:
As I continued on with the project, I spread out all my stuff as usual, and had a very messy workspace. This picture is only a small portion of the messiness, but messy workspaces are what I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment